Welcome message

Thanks for visiting! After many years of contemplatiing, I finally decided to buy a mandolin and teach myself how to play it. I set up this blog mainly in order to track how I am going. Feel free to follow my progress here too. (And yes, in case you're wondering, I did name the mando after Mycroft Holmes).

Tuesday 11 September 2012

Finding the balance

Okay. I think I've finally sorted out this strap business and I've come to the following conclusions about my particular mandolin strap:

a) It's crap
b) It's too long
c) It's too thin as a round braid
d) It's crap
e) It's got about as much grip as a thin, lubricated snake

Did I mention it's crap? So, it doesn't position the instrument correctly as it's too long, and as it's thin and gripless the headstock is irresistibly drawn towards the ground. It even creaks when you have the intended loop around the scroll! Need I add that this thing is seriously crap.

I have, however, managed to tweak it so that it works more or less like a mando strap should, by feeding the loop back on itself and wrapping it around the scroll again. This solves the "too long" issue and then presto - what folks have been saying on the mandolincafe forum starts to happen - I can more or less keep the mando in position just with the pressure from my right forearm. Drop the pressure from the right forearm, though, and the "no grip" issue takes over, sending the headstock not quite so far groundwards.

But...

FREEEEEDOME!!! I can move! I'm not stuck in this awkward seated position while playing and I can even go for a wander around the house while I play if I want. Jury's still out on whether or not I actually play any better standing, but it feels better. That's important, right?

I'll replace the strap, I think, because it's now actually a tad short and the thin braid kind of cuts into my shoulder. Folks on the cafe have made some very useful suggestions, and I will try to follow their advice by getting a thicker, flat strap, preferably with a bit of grip. The straps made by Lakota (from elk) look absolutely gorgeous and importantly are soft, from what I've heard, and last an age so I may just give in and cough up the dough to ship in one over here.

Moral of the story? Straps are awesome. This strap isn't.


No comments:

Post a Comment