Welcome message

Thanks for visiting! After many years of contemplatiing, I finally decided to buy a mandolin and teach myself how to play it. I set up this blog mainly in order to track how I am going. Feel free to follow my progress here too. (And yes, in case you're wondering, I did name the mando after Mycroft Holmes).

Saturday 22 September 2012

Mando-bling

It's been a bit of  big day for Mycroft. First headed down to Hillcrest to try out and buy an armrest. Considering most of the demand is in the States, I was very surprised to find that one of the few people making them is right here in Brisbane (well, almost). David at King Brown Mandolin Armrests was awesome and knocked together a bit of a selection for me to check out. I settled on the standard  design, but he also does some over the tail-piece armrests and can add a lovely little inlay if one so desires.

They look good, but the best part is of course what they add to the playability of the instrument. I find it much more comfortable on the forearm, and don't end up with a massive indent from the edge, and I believe it does open up the tone a little too.

After this purchase I headed back into city territory to The Guitar Shop at Paddington to pick up a hard case I had ordered. This is something I probably should have done sooner considering how clumsy and uncoordinated I am, but thankfully no disasters befelled Mycroft while he was housed in a soft case. Sigh of relief now that I've got the hard case.

So here's little Mycroft, all dressed up in his new mando-bling. Now we just wait for the strap. Oh, and the strings. Looking forward to trying some nice new Elixirs.




No comments:

Post a Comment